Sunday, January 16, 2005

Speeding

I was late for church this morning. Not much later than usual mind you, but I would still be well past "fashionably" and into "disruptively".

My trip to church is straight up 95 North. What should I see in the distance but red and blue lights flashing. Well trained speeder reflexes kicked in and I slowed down to about 5 miles per hour above the speed limit. You know, the point at which few cops are going to bother to ticket you...

Looking forward I realize that this was not, in fact, a cop. It was an ambulance. So what the hell am I going slow for? Speed back up. I notice a few minutes later that the ambulance, lights still flashing, is a lot closer. A few minutes after that I pass it. Hmmm perhaps I should slow down. The funny thing is that I wasn't going that fast. 70 miles per hour on that stretch of highway (its a 55) isn't even particularly uncommon. Thats about what I am doing and here I am passing a paramedic. So Newark AETNA firehouse, if your reading, you can go faster than that with the lights on...

Now what is really funny about this is that I almost passed another one going home. Maybe its an ambulance thing. They can't turn that well so perhaps they just don't take the darned things over 70.

No comments: