Friday, November 10, 2006

Guns and Politics: Gun Control

Now that the Democrats are in control of congress, the big question is "How long until we see gun control legislation coming out of the Capitol Building?"

It's a good question. Gun control has been one of the issues that the Democrats have avoided in the past few years, largely because it has been seen as a loser for them. They passed the Assault Weapons Ban in '94 and lost Congress. Bill Clinton has blamed gun control for Gore's lost in the 2000 presidential election. And the new class of Democrats are a fairly conservative bunch for the party considering how heavily they mined the ex-military for candidates.

That said I still don't trust them. I agree with most of the firearms community, that a new Assault Weapons Ban or other more egregious legislation could find its way into the next anti-terror bill. So I'll be stocking up on high capacity magazines for my AR-15 and Hipower just in case. Oh and I may put together that cartridge converted C&B cowboy pistol I've wanted for a while. It can't hurt to have a pistol off the books (but still legal) at this point.

What is really going to hurt is the coming tax increase. Most of the Democrats around here seem to have run on that platform. That is going to really cut into any money I can put towards a house especially in terms of monthly mortgage payments.

No comments: