Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Racial Dialogue

A bunch of my coworkers are black. This is a good thing. It is a great thing and they're great folks. But...

It can be very interesting listening to them talk about everyday subjects. It makes me realize that there is a whole world of which I am profoundly ignorant. There are a whole types of hair and skin care products I don't understand and shouldn't ever use. White folks get oily naturally, black folks tend to do the opposite and dry out.

They are free to describe people in ways I just can't. It isn't using forbidden words like the n-word. It's simple things like describing people's skin color. As a white man, I just wouldn't feel comfortable describing a black man's skin tone. I've been trained not to notice that stuff.

It is just weird. Not bad, but different. And it's right on my doorstep. It makes me wonder what else I'm missing. But I'm sure I'll learn some whole new stuff once I get married too.

No comments: