Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Hearing Tests

Your ability to hear high and low frequency sound decreases as you age. I mentioned this before because I could hear some sounds, like a sonic mosquito repeller, that my parents could not.

Ochen K. has put together a suite of audio files to examining the limits of his audio acuity. Using the test files, my hearing seems to drop off between 17k and 18k hertz, which is still pretty good. Teenager repellers operate around 15k hertz so I guess I'm still a kid.

Via Michael Dean.

UPDATE: I tried the upper ranges with different speakers and in different settings that have less background noise. It seems that this can have some influence on your results. Some of the higher frequency mp3 tracks have a tone which I cannot hear, but mp3 artifacting that I can.

No comments: