Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Is the Princess Dead Yet?

As a lover fantasy, the current state of the fantasy genre is pretty disappointing to me. Frankly, the genre itself doesn't seem especially fantastic anymore. It seems all the writers are doing one of two things, they're either copying someone else or several someone-elses, they're making fantasy/other genre books, or they're writing massive book series that squeeze every last ounce of life from their worlds.

Thanks to Tycho Brahe for reminding me of Stephen Brust's "Taltos" fantasy crime novels. I read my brother's copy of Teckla a long while back and I enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed how professions like hired killer take on far fewer nasty connotations when you live a world where the dead can be resurrected. I'll have to pick up some of th earlier books in the series to fill the gaps though.

No comments: