Friday, November 17, 2006

Gear: Sucking It Up

PGJF has this to say on vacuums:
Bagless is ten times filthier than any bag vacuum I had ever used. You have to empty the canister after each use, which means you have to do it outside if you don't want to spray dust everywhere (and I do mean everywhere) inside your house. The HEPA filter is great, except that it completely clogs after each use. So you have to remove and tap out the filthy, dusty filter after each use. It's positively nasty.
That is my experience with the bagless Dirt Devil I bought several years ago. I often have to vacuum and clean the kitchen after I empty the dirt cup, because there is no sense cleaning it before. Nasty gray dirt gets everywhere. And it seems Dirt Devil has changed filter designs on me so I'm just reusing the old one over and over. I generally prefer my parent's bagful machines to the current bagless ones.

I don't have any complaints about the suction or cleaning power of the vacuum itself though. Generally if it isn't picking anything up, it is because I've "vacuumed" our entire apartment with the vacuum set to "hose" instead of "floor". Doh.

No comments: