Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wheels: Minicars

If even I'm in Atlanta, I'm going to have to stop by the Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum. As their excellent website demonstrates, it's the home of more microcars than I thought existed in the US. The Whattadrag Isetta is great of course, but for some reason I kind of like the Messerschmitt KR200s and the lotus-esque styling of Goggomobil DART.

I can't help but wonder what would happen if you put a modern engine, even a sub-800cc motorcycle or scooter engine, into something like this. The KR200 only weighed 500-550 lbs, so it wouldn't take much. Unfortunately I doubt the suspension could handle it, but hey you'd have built yourself a pretty quick little coffin.

UPDATE: Hey somebody in the UK makes reproductions of these things.

UPDATE2: The ME KR200 is a trike, which means it is probably classified as a motorcycle in the US. Does that mean you might actually have a reason to own one of those stahlhelm-styled motorcycle helmets? I mean if I owned a Messerschmitt I'd certainly think about buying one. Or maybe a pickelhaube, that would have less Nazi overtones.

No comments: