Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Shooting with Nothing to Show for It

Took my AR-15 to the range on Saturday to zero in a new scope. No dice, it wouldn't group. Honestly, I've shot better patterns out of my 12 gauge.

I suppose it could be my fault. It was hot and I was sweating profusely, so my grip was constantly shifting. I was also shooting a new brand of ammo that I'd never put through the gun before, so maybe the two don't mix well. But I'm far more inclined to believe that the scope I picked up for a song isn't worth even the minuscule sum I paid for it. And since I can't get a refund without the misplaced receipt, I'm guessing it'll end up on ebay as some kids bb-gun scope. It should still work for that.

With my new mortgage payments, I really need to think about shooting economically. If this weekend taught me anything, it is that commercial .223 is way to expensive to use learning basic riflecraft. I think it's time to start shopping for a decent .22 rifle. Used Marlin model 60s are reputed to be available for under $100 at pawn shops across our fair land. Considering the price difference between .22lr and .223, that rifle would pay for itself within the first brick of rimfire. By the time I'm ready to transition back to centerfire shooting, I'll probably be reloading it myself.

No comments: