Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Helping the Economy

Amybear and I picked up our first HDTV at BJs yesterday. In addition to blowing over a grand of our tax refund on that, we're looking at blowing additional money upfront and monthly for HD content from DirecTV. I may also pick up a PS3 when GTA4 comes out.

The TV a 42" Philips unit. Getting it home was interesting. My little Mazda was not designed to carry objects of that height and width. After we failed to get it into the trunk, a nice passer-by volunteered to help load it into the back seat. I think getting it out again required Amy and I to warp the fabric of space time. But hey the box is in the living room now.

UPDATE: Well it's set up. Amy and I are watching our normal DirecTV feed on the new TV (nice) and then we watched a DVD (nicer). One minor annoyance is that the automatic aspect ratio utility on the TV seems to be crap. It seems to default to 16:9 which really deforms broadcast TV. So I have to manually switch between 4:3 and 16:9 instead of the set automatically figuring things out for me. This would be fine if widescreen DVDs didn't feature both video formats in different parts of the same disk.

No comments: