Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Too Much Politics

A post over at Parablemania is making me think. I needed to be reminded that no matter who wins in November, God's will can be done through him. After all, Paul wrote this in Romans 13:
Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
Paul may have written that during the reign of Nero. He was falsely imprisoned and in due course would be martyred. If he said this then, can we do any less?

I started this blog as a place I could write about things that mattered to me. So far its mostly been about politics. My brothers this should not be. There isn't much Baptist about this blog, so its time I get cracking on that side of my life and bring it back into balance. I'm going to have to work on those theology and ethics drafts that are sitting around so look for them soon.

No comments: