Monday, April 16, 2007

Heretics

According to Jerry Falwell, I am one. I blame my Presbyterian upbringing.

Some people are saying that this is an artifact of Falwell's Fundamentalism. It isn't really. The Fundamentals, which I've mentioned before, were designed as a construct to bind together like-minded Protestants against threats growing from Modernist philosophy. But the Fundamentals do not cover theological ground like Limited Atonement. In fact they purposefully avoided that kind of doctrinal boondoggle so that they covered the broadest group of believers under the umbrella of their particular brand of orthodoxy.

In many ways Falwell is actually shooting true Fundamentalism in the foot and indicating that the Fundamentals aren't fundamental enough for him. What foolishness. But then again I'm an Evangelical and quiet Calvinist so I suppose I would think that way.

No comments: