Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Making the World Smaller

I just realized that my parents' house is on Google's Street View. For some reason that seems a lot more eerie than the old Terraserver picture I had of the old homestead in college. In the latter you can see the grainy outline of the house from space. In the former, both of their cars are parked in the driveway and you can see the make, model, and color.

It would be scary if the street numbering weren't all screwed up. If you actually put in my parents' address, you get pictures of our neighbor's houses instead. But nothings perfect.

UPDATE: Oh and if Street View is supposed to help you figure out where you're going, it fails miserably. Sure I can make out buildings, but it lacks the resolution to read most types of signs and I know the numbering is off. So I have no idea whether I'm actually headed to the right place.

No comments: