Friday, April 14, 2006

NT Wright

I'm not sure what I think of the guy. I've heard that his books are quite good, if not perfect, but then he says things like this:
“I have friends who I am quite sure are Christians who do not believe in the bodily resurrection,” he says carefully, citing another eminent scholar, American theologian Marcus Borg, co-author with Wright of The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions.
Wright goes on to state that while he doesn't doubt Borg's faith, he does think that his unbelief causes foundational problems in Christian life.

I share a lot of Wright's concerns. There are a lot of things that can cause people problems, but the resurrection of the dead is an issue dealt with in Scripture by the Apostle Paul. In 1 Corinthians 15, the Apostle Paul covers this subject in some detail. Leaving out the Resurrection has two problems,. First, it undermines all theology and leaves Christians in our sins. Second, it undermines all testimony we have about Christ through Scripture, tradition, and the testimony of the Holy Spirit himself.

Sounds like foundational problems to me.

No comments: