Thursday, April 20, 2006

Three Lane Roads

I believe I have stated how much I hate three lane highways, but I'm going to be redundant. I hate them with the white hot passion of a thousands suns. And I have to drive on them every day.

Why the vitriol (25 cent word!)? Well ideally on a three lane road the break down would be: the right lane for entering, exiting, and driving slow, the middle lane for people driving at moderate speed, the left lane for people driving stupid fast. But this is not how it actually works.

In actuality all the slow drivers are in the middle lane so they don't have to deal with merging/exiting traffic. Either that traffic scares them or they're just lazy and want to drive in their own little dream worlds. So now the people moving at moderate speed are either driving on the left or having to pass the slow pokes on the left and right. The people driving stupid fast now have to do so wherever they can find room so they're weaving through traffic at high speed.

Four lane roads don't have this problem because there is generally enough room for the slow pokes to have their own lane apart from everyone else so they don't back up into the lanes with the real drivers.

Were I to become God Emperor of America my first edict would be "Keep Right on All Highways" punishable by Atomic Wedgie. That would push the slowpokes in with the exit/entering traffic. If that doesn't work, it's four lane roads and two lane road and none of this three lane crap.

No comments: