Monday, April 17, 2006

So What Do I Believe Today?

You scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan. You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan

75%

Reformed Evangelical

71%

Fundamentalist

57%

Emergent/Postmodern

57%

Neo orthodox

46%

Classical Liberal

46%

Roman Catholic

43%

Charismatic/Pentecostal

39%

Modern Liberal

4%

What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com

Just like John, I seem to recall being more of a Reformed Evangelical when last I took this test. Unlike John, my problem isn't the Evangelical part. I've attended Evangelical churches for all my life and I can count the number of altar calls I've seen on one hand. Most of those were at ecumenical gatherings like Promise Keepers.

No my problem is probably more "Reformed" in nature. What this thing really shows me is that I'm not really fitting into any one theological category. My background is definitely Reformed, but I can't side with hardline expressions of Calvinism. While I don't have a problem with limited atonement as I would express it, I don't know that I would agree with it as Calvin expresses it. And I really have trouble with Perseverence of the Saints which just doesn't work for me in light of some of Jesus teachings.

Chances are my theology is just too wishy washy at the moment to get a good reading on things. More on that later.

Oh the other problem with the test is that it is loaded with either/or choices that don't really work for me. My answer to most of these questions is probably far more nuanced than the test allows for. For instance I abhor direct church involvement in politics and social activism. But social work is something different. Part of me reads these kind of questions and wonders if I think they mean what the writer thinks they mean.

UPDATE: People are calling me Arminian. I feel so dirty... Why won't it wash off?

No comments: