Monday, September 11, 2006

God: Denying the Faith

Did you know that most cops and armed security guards are horrible with guns? Many soldiers unfortunately aren't much better. These people carry guns all the time, but rarely shoot or maintain them. Cops often only shoot once or twice a year around proficiency qualifications. In contrast, I've never worn a gun in my life and I go shooting once or twice a month.

Let me tell you a story from a police firearms instructor. His job is to give the proficiency qualifications to the street cops. Well one brash officer comes in, shoots his course of fire, and fails his requalification. He responds by saying "Well that is only because I'm on a range. Out in the real world, I could really do it if I had to..."

Now the instructor knows that range shooting is actually much easier than defensive shooting. Paper targets don't move and don't shoot back. You don't have adrenaline fight-or-flight response screwing up your fine motor skills. "Fine," the instructor says "now you have to. If you don't pass this one, I'll revoke your firearms qualification." The cop pulls his chin off the floor, reshoots, fails again, and drives a desk while he improves his pistolcraft until he can qualify.

Where am I going with this? This excellent post at Physics Geek, Jesus Freak is where I am going (and you should go too.) In a reaction to Fox News reporters gunpoint conversion to Islam, a talk show host had this to say:
This is not the test! This is not the test! Some crazy guy holds a gun to your head and says 'convert or die'? That's not the test of faith God wants! God knows what's in your heart! What good does it do God if you're dead?
Physics Geek points out that a choice between martyrdom and renouncing Christ is, in fact, one of the classic tests of faith. The talk show host is just like the brash cop in the previous story. God knows I can do it in real life! What good will my martyrdom do anyone?

Perhaps, but perhaps this person really doesn't know himself. If you aren't willing to consider dying for the God you worship, the God who died for you, are you really capable of living for him? Or are you just a cop walking around with a rusted revolver he couldn't shoot if he wanted to?

I don't know which I am. I hope and pray I never have to really find out the hard way like those reporters did.

No comments: