Monday, February 26, 2007

Stupid Stupid John Edwards

McQ is shaking his head at remarks like these:
"The money is either there or it's not there from the tax cuts," said Edwards. "And right now those tax cuts exist. So I think it can be used as a revenue stream for now. If we have to make alterations or find other revenue streams, we'll do it."
Or in other words, "I want to propose sweeping new entitlements and I have no idea how I will pay for them."

We're at the start of what may be the largest mass retirement in US history. As the Boomers retire they're all going to start drawing money from the federal entitlement programs that are already present. We're talking about a massive increase in entitlement spending. I have no idea where that money is going to come from. Now if we don't have the money to pay for those entitlements why do you want to add more? Get some priorities dammit!

The issues shaping my vote for President seem to be coming together though. I won't vote for anyone who supports gun control. I won't support anyone who wants to enact new entitlements with new taxes. I don't care if I'm not paying them. If you can restructure our current program to get what you want (as they did in Massachusetts) then alright. But I'm not paying you another dime.

Unfortunately it looks like the number of candidates meeting these criteria will be pretty slim.

No comments: