Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Commute of Cool Cars

My morning drive to work can be interesting. Interesting has different connotations of course. Sometimes traffic is horrible, the weather is bad, and it is "interesting" like the old Chinese curse. Other times you just get to see cool stuff. Things are clear and you can see for miles of lush green country. Today was a cool stuff day as there seemed to be an inordinate amount of nice cars on the road, especially for a day where the weather is bad.

I hadn't left my complex when a Pontiac Solstice pulled past me and into the shopping center next door. It was the first time I had actually seen one driven, mostly I just see them on trailers coming from the assembly plant in Wilmington. They are cool cars. Perhaps not practical, but definitely good lookers. He pulled into a shopping center. I hope he isn't buying much with his tiny trunk.

Further down the road a Dodge Charger passed me. They are also good looking cars. Even this one, which only had the V6, seemed to have enough power to move it around comfortably. The V6 probably isn't much faster than my car, but on the other hand I could park my Mazda inside it.

Finally an older Porsche 911 passed me on the highway. Picking up a theme? Yes I don't drive especially fast on local roads or near any of the speedtraps on I95. Anyway, this 911 was from back in the day when mere mortals could afford to buy them. It was a very nice car with a lot of old school pride to it.

No comments: