Thursday, June 14, 2007

Scoping Out Scopes

So yesterday I mentioned that I'd love to buy a bunch of swords. Well really that's just the tip of the wish iceberg for me. I want some new gun toys too, like a nice rifle scope. Or even a crappy rifle scope since nice rifle scopes cost thousands of dollars.

After a few trips to the range with my AR-15, I've realized that I really want scope that rifle. The iron sights on the rifle are good, but unfortunately my eyes aren't. I can't see the .223 caliber holes in my targets at 25 meters without resorting to binoculars. Not a problem because I have binoculars. But I also suck with irons because fundamentally I can't see exactly what I'm shooting at. I know, I know, I should learn to use them anyway.

So I'd like a good scope, something compact to put on my ARs flattop with magnification around 4x to 6x. The Trijicon ACOG is the traditional scope to throw on an AR-15 that fits this spec. Unfortunately they run about a thousand dollars. To put that into perspective, I built my entire AR-15 for less than that. Now true rifle aficionados consider a good scope to be something akin to the rifle's brother. Like proud papas they love both and proudly proclaim that you should spend equal amounts of money on both of your children. I'm not that guy. I think of a scope as an important rifle accessory. I mean I have iron sights already, even if I suck with them. So I want to go cheaper.

And there are cheaper options of course. I especially like the IOR Valdada M2. German glass put together by a company that used to make sniper scopes for the Russians. Range finding reticle. Rugged. Kind of compact. Cool. But I'm still looking at $400 of the money I should be using on the house Amy and I are buying. Well crap.

This has me looking at the lower tier again. My research indicates I have basically two options for generally good scopes in the ~100 range:
  1. The Leapers T168. This is a relatively compact scope, has lots of bells and whistles, is designed to mount on an AR-15 in various ways, is 6x power, and can be had for about $45. Not bad. People generally seem to like them even though Leapers has an awful reputation in scopes.
  2. The Hakko 4x21 carry handle scope. This is smaller, probably lighter, and has good features which include Bullet-Drop Compensator range adjustments. Hakko is a more reputable manufacturer, but unfortunately the scope costs more and I'd need to get an adapter to put it on my flat-top.
I'm currently in the mulling stage. I imagine I will continue to mull into one of these is no longer on sale and I buy the other one. Or maybe someone will get me either one as a housewarming gift. After all what could be more appropriate than equipment to protect said home from marauding Visigoth warriors or stray Jehovah's Witnesses?

No comments: