Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Telling the Truth

Dilbert's current arc involves Nancy, the employee with personal problems. As usual Alice cuts to the heart of the issue:


I know several people like this and it just irritates the heck out of me, mostly because they're always passing the buck to someone else. They have personality clashes at every job they've ever worked. Or sometimes it is the opposite, they consistently become the office doormat. Or their boyfriends mistreat them. Sometimes I just want to grab them by the shoulders, look them in the eyes, and say "The reason you always have these problems is because of the choices you make. Make better decisions and stop blaming others."

This isn't always true of course. Sometimes you're a great person that happens to work for a jerk or with idiots. It happens. But when I see it happen over and over again to the same people, I can't help but wonder if it isn't a coincidence that the shit keeps hitting their particular fan. Maybe these folks are just standing in front of the shit fan instead. If so, then take a few steps to the left or right already.

But is confronting this sort of thing head-on the thing to do? Is it the proper Christian response? I don't know. I generally just try to help these kinds of folks out of whatever mess they've gotten themselves into. But I rarely confront them about why they keep getting into these messes in the first place.

No comments: