Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Sword Makes the Hero

A teenage karate student defended his Hialeah, Florida home with his samurai sword after two thugs broke into his home. Damian Fernandez stabbed one of them in the chest and both thieves fled. The injured robber was captured where he was hiding down the street.

I don't know what type of samurai sword he used. Gizmodo says a katana, but the teenager recants his story with a wakazashi in the video clip. The shorter sword is a better one for indoors work, although both would work well in a thrust.

It is kind of sobering to think that someone could be stabbed in the chest with a sword and still keep moving, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The curvature of a samurai sword makes it a poor stabbing weapon and frankly lots of people take multiple bullets to the chest before they go down.

One of these days I'll pick up a katana and wakazashi to go with my european long sword. Kris Cutlery makes a good product that isn't so expensive I would feel bad using it on milk jugs and soda bottles. A gladius would be a nice addition to my collection as well. But as always, I need to pace myself. Perhaps it is time to make another wish list.

No comments: