Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Guns: Muzzleloading Magic

I know I said that muzzleloaders stink. And they do. Stink is the natural result of firing a propellant made from 10% sulphur and 75% concentrated crap (also known as "saltpeter").

But there are a few cool things about them. The traditional designs are classics. Metal, wood, and nothing else. A good hawken harkens back to a bygone age. But more importantly, muzzleloaders and black powder arms are considered archaic by the US Government. Which means they are almost completely unregulated. Unlike most other guns, you can still buy a black powder rifle or pistol through the mail like it was 1922. Lack of regulation also means they're cheap. I could by an inexpensive inline for less than a hundred bucks. I could make my own great plains rifle out of a kit for under three hundred.

Man, Amy's going to have to look out if we ever get room for me to put up a workbench.

No comments: