Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jokes that Aren't Funny

My wife turned me on to a Salon humor piece about how Rock Band allowed a woman to relate to her husband's gaming obsession, thereby saving her marriage. It has it's moments, but one of them struck me as profoundly unfunny:
"If you don't stop playing that game right now, I'm filing for divorce!" I holler. He can't hear me. You know, the headphones.
This isn't funny. Not even in the slightest. Amybear and I had a talk about lasting marriages and we both came to the conclusion that divorce is not an option for us. We're in it for the long haul with all the mutual sacrifices and issues that may entail. We're not going to "grow apart" because we're committed to growing together.

Divorce is a cancer eating away that the American family. It consumes people and things and delivers very little except fees to courts and lawyers. It is a serious problem. It's like joking that you have AIDS or an inoperable brain tumor. Not funny.

If you make a threat like "I want a divorce" you should already know which lawyer you're going to use to draw up the necessary papers.

No comments: