Thursday, May 01, 2008

Twisted Verses

Mark Hemingway notes Jeremiah Wright using the first part of John 10:16 to justify ecumenicism with Islamists.
MODERATOR: Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the father but through me. Do you believe this? And do you think Islam is a way to salvation?

WRIGHT: Jesus also said, Other sheep have I who are not of this fold.
The entire verse is: "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." How exactly does this verse say what Wright thinks it does? It doesn't.

It often annoys me when people twist a passage into saying what it doesn't. A common one is Matthew 7:1. You know, "judge not lest ye."

People like to set this verse up as if it were saying that Christians should never ever judge anyone. Rubbish. The end of that passage in Matthew 7:5-6 contradicts this view. 7:5 (remove the plank from your own eye...) says that you should fix your own problems so that you can better make judgments. Likewise 7:6 (pearls before swine) is all about judging others.

The point of that passage is not "don't ever judge anyone". The point is to judge wisely because you will be held eternally accountable for those judgments. It's a big difference.

Any other favorites out there?

No comments: