Monday, January 10, 2005

Church Membership

Messy Christian is writing about church membership. Messy has had a rough time with churches lately so she's a little gun shy.

My thoughts on the matter are also mixed. I've been attending the same church since I was in high school. I am not a member and check "regular attender" on the pad of paper that circulates every week in the service. This status hasn't stopped me from being an usher, small group leader, and on the singles group leadership team. I tithe or come close most months.

Why aren't I a member of the church? Well I was baptized as an adult, but by sprinkling. I was not emersed as my church requires. I have no desire to get baptized again in order to qualify. I've thought about sucking it up, but I'm feeling stubborn right now. A water distribution methodology seems a silly thing for them to draw a line in the sand over. But hey it may be a clue that my doctrine might not be my church's doctrine. A funny thing to worry about after I've been leading a bible study there for over a year.

Joining a church is about throwing your lot in with a body of christians. I'm fine with that. I've already been doing the work of a member for quite some time. I suppose my bigger worry is that they will throw their lot in with me as well. It's especially worrying since I will shortly be getting engaged to a lovely Jewish girl. Not much chance of us getting married in my church (although we have no desire to do that anyway). If I'm lucky one of my ministers would agree to perform my part of the wedding. If not there is always a Justice of the Peace I suppose.

No comments: