Monday, November 14, 2005

Hybrid Economics

I did an analysis and found that hybrids didn't work for me. They are slow, handle poorly, and don't save me any money. They really aren't any fun for me so I drive a zippy econobox with a decent suspension. This article does a pretty decent job of examining the cost/benefits of hybrids.

I would really like to see an examination of diesel cars and diesel-electric hybrids added to this. I would also like to compare the environmental costs of hybrids compared to high occupancy vehicles they would compete with under HOV restrictions. I have a real hunch that 4 guys in a Camry is far more efficient in both fuel consumption and emissions production than 1 guy in a Prius.

UPDATE: Turns out there are diesel-electric hybrids out there. London is testing some for use as cabs. However a coworker has pointed out that the diesel combustion cycle doesn't not seem to benefit from hybridization to the same degree as gasoline engines. It has something to do with the idle cycle of the engine. Oh well.

No comments: