Friday, July 27, 2007

The Deathly Hallows

So I finished Book 7 of Harry Potter last night and I quite enjoyed it. I had seen some of the plot twists coming (plot twists which I will not spoil), but overall it tied up the books very well indeed. As with the previous novels, events that seemed mundane books ago were to be more significant than they appeared.

There is one thing that was just kind of weird though. All of the other Potter books follow a similar formula: introductory action over summer break, fall at Hogwarts, events of Christmas break, spring at Hogwarts, climax at the end of the school year, falling action as everyone goes home for summer. Book 7 doesn't do this. As Harry hints at the end of book six, he doesn't go back to school this time around. It really seems to effect the books pacing and the way I perceived the passage of time in the story.

No comments: