Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Electro-Cycle

Brammo, US manufacturer of the Ariel Atom, is planning to bring an electric motorcycle called the Enertia to market. The bike is light for a motorcycle at 240 pounds, is low maintenance, and of course uses no gas. Instead you can charge it from any wall outlet. The downside is that it's performance is frankly quite scooterish. Max speed of 50 mph, max range of 45 miles, etc. Oh and it costs $15,000.

Compare that to the Vectrix electric scooter, which is much heavier but has similar acceleration performance, a superior top speed, and only costs around $8,000. Were I an urban consumer and commuter, I'd probably go with the true scooter instead of the electric mini-bike.

But I'm not. I commute the other way: suburban to rural. Or as rural as you can get within the NY to DC corridor. I drive 70 miles round trip to work and need something that is competent at highway speeds. Electric vehicles can't meet my needs, even my wife were to allow me to ride something like a Enertia to work. Which is unlikely.

No comments: