Friday, August 04, 2006

Gear: Cordless Phones and Wi-fi

Well this certainly explains why my home phones and wireless network have been giving me trouble. It turns out that they're probably (I'm pretty sure my home phones are 2.4 GHz) running on the same frequencies. Oops. Guess I have my reason to buy a new phone now.

UPDATE: Amy and I bought a set of GE phones at BJs over the weekend. They're 5.8 GHz which puts them outside of normal wireless bands so they will hopefully solve our network problems. Plus we got 2 cordless phones, one corded phone, and a base unit with an answering machine for about 70 bucks. Money well spent.

Izzy points out that if your curious whether you'd have trouble with local networks interfering with your phone, there are spectrum analyzers out there to help you pick appropriate wireless channels. Unfortunately they're $100.

No comments: