Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Gnu Object Lessons

Amybear and I were watching an Animal Planet documentary on an African wildebeest migration a few weeks ago. In it a wildebeest calf gets separated from his mother largely because he ran off and wasn't paying attention to where he was or what he was doing. He then spends the next five or ten minutes of the show trying to find his mother. He's hungry, he's thirsty, he's bleating for his mommy. If he doesn't find her, he might not make it. Finally he manages to find her again and everything turns out alright.

Amybear was getting all teary-eyed through this part of the story, but I realized that this is exactly the kind of programming I want to watch with my kids. I wish they had showed a wildebeest calf that didn't make it back to mommy. Why? Because I want shows that I can use to scare my children into not being stupid. Hey son, do you remember that show on the wildebeest? Do you remember what happened to that little one who got lost? Then stay close to mommy and daddy at the store, ok? We don't want that happening to you.

Man, I hope shows like that stay in rotation for a long time.

No comments: