Monday, March 26, 2007

Good Boots

While we were in Norfolk this weekend attending the bar-mitzvah of Amybear's cousin, we stopped at the local Navy Exchange for some shopping. Most PXs are essentially department stores for soldiers and they really don't have much to recommend them over a civilian store except for their tax free status. Not this one, it also had a uniform shop including uniform shoes. Finally, a place that might sell those paratrooper boots I've been wanting.

No such luck. They had some excellent Belleville flight line boots which did tickle my fancy. All leather. Vibram-soled. Well padded. Gore-tex lined and completely waterproof. And under $100. Amazing. The problem? Selection. The 9.5s (my normal size) was too big. Maybe I would have been ok with a couple pairs of socks, but I didn't want to risk it. There were no 9s to be had. I was not the only guy looking at these things and bemoaning the NEX's lack of 9s and 10s in regular width either.

When I got home, I looked up the civilians prices. They're $160 boots for the general public. Sniff. Sorry boys but I don't like you quite that much. Maybe I can get a government employee discount. I'll have to look.

No comments: