Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Bottled Water

Penny Arcade had some keen observations about the knick-knack economy.
I can't even imagine the excitement that must have coursed through those halls when they invented this. I would imagine it was similar to the joy felt at Coca-Cola when they realized they could just sell the water without carbonation or syrup for the same amount, if not more. I can picture them out on the front lawn all throwing their hats into the air in unison.
I don't usually buy bottled water, but I've realized that I drink way too many highly processed soft drinks and water makes a good alternative. So I went to my local supermarket and picked up a case. My God that stuff is expensive.

It pissed me off in two ways:
  1. Yes you do pay as much or more money for bottled water than for that same fluid with things in it.
  2. I already pay for water and I pay for it in bulk. I have a utility bill every month for the gallons I use. That I have to pay someone else for more water says that those utility guys are doing a really bang-up job with my money.
It really makes me wish that the logistics of getting water to millions of homes wasn't such an issue. I bet if we could just introduce more competition into the marketplace, the utilities would actually get in a race to improve their water quality.

No comments: