Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Fellow Bloggers and the Bible

John, proprietor of Locusts and Honey and occasional commenter on this blog, was profiled by Gavin Richardson recently. So if you are interested in knowing what some of your fellow readers are like, follow the link. One of many noteworthy quotes:
What are you reading at the moment?

The Bible. That's not a flippant reply. I read the whole Bible, cover to cover, every year, out loud. It takes about 15 minutes a day. I read little other than the Bible, although I have recently finished Fool's Gold by John McArthur.
Amen to that. I often wonder what Christianity would be like if we read the bible more and, say, I Kissed Dating Goodbye or the Prayer of Jabez less.

When I first started graduate school I didn't have the money for a TV or even books unrelated to my education. Between food, rent, and car repairs I had committed all my funds. So I started reading my bible voraciously because it was what I had and could afford. You would be surprised how quickly you can cover the entire book. Later, when I started my long commute to work, I bought an NIV audio bible. Going through the bible that way took a few months.

However, I have found that casual reading of the bible is only good for a big picture overview. If you really want to get some good depth you have to punctuate this by slowing down. Take verses apart and put them back together again with the help of good reference materials like a Strong's Concordance and some commentaries. Some of these resources are now available for free on the web.

No comments: