Thursday, July 14, 2005

Firearms Imports

Kim du Toit is indicating that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives may be cracking down on the import of semi-automatic rifle components. They will be expanding the list of non-importable components to include the barrel and frame along with the receiver. Kim has some suggestions for American made alternatives to get around this.

I'm not too worried about this. I already have an M1 carbine which isn't effected and I will probably be buying an AR15 derivative within the next year. Those are all made in the states so is import ban doesn't apply. AR15s are not just scary assault rifles, they make for phenominally accurate target guns too by the way.

But that has to wait until my car is paid off in a few months. Until then I'm going to keep non-essential purchasing to a minimum. Then I'll probably splurge on a RIA 1911 and start saving for (1) a house downpayment (2) the Ar15. In that order.

No comments: