Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Old Man Music

I'm feeling old. I don't "get" a lot of popular music. Someone actually called in to request "Holla Back" by Gwen Steffani on the radio last night. Why? For heaven's sake why? Its just people chanting the same nonsense over and over again. If I hear it going home today I may have to inflict physical injury on myself just to keep sane.

And have you seen R. Kelly's latest video "Trapped in the Closet (Part 1 of 5)"? The song itself is so bad it's campy and the title implies there are 4 more tracks out there somewhere. My god, they only made two Attack of the Killer Tomatoes movies.

One a different note (pun intended) my rant on worship music came up at Bible Study thursday. Some of the guys read the site. They thought a lot of it hit the mark but here are the highlights:
  • I don't really have a problem with contemporary guitar worship. We did it before study. It is what you do with 5 guys and a guitar at a bible study. But I think that large scale corporate worship can be better served with a mix of hymns and contemporary worship styles.
  • There are now many in the youth group who have never really heard hymns sung. They have been in contemporary services their entire life. That is kind of a shame.
  • Not only are hymns often better theologically than a lot of contemporary music, they have superior musical depth as well. Contemporary music tends to be simple melodic stuff. Hymns are routinely written in four part harmony. A lot of the guys, including myself, have singing backgrounds and enjoy singing in parts. That harmony has to be sung purely ear with most contemporary tunes, if sung at all. Singing worship in multiple parts was even used as a metaphor for the body of Christ. Each part performing its musical function, merging together into a deeper, more wonderful whole.
Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments.

No comments: