Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Behind Enemy Lines

Anna Venger relates the tale of Rosi (not her real name) a Pakistani woman who's family has found Christ and suffered greatly because of it.
Rosi herself, though previously considering doing her duty to God by killing her father, had to flee her home after her own conversion to Christ. The difficulties she and her family have faced are hard to imagine as we live in a country in which we are free to believe as we wish and are not faced with possible death for changing religions or holding to no religion at all. I wonder if I would have the fortitude that her family had shown in similar circumstances.
When I was in my teens, my church (not my current one) hosted a former missionary to Egypt. Unlike most missionaries who are US nationals, this guy was a native Egyptian who received foreign monetary support. Even though Egypt and Turkey are the most westernized and secularized muslim nations, he was still imprisoned without cause. He was beaten by both his countrymen and by the police. I was reminded of Paul's words in 2nd Timothy 2:
Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God's word is not chained. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.
We in America have it so easy. I need to pray more to lend strength to those who do not.

No comments: