Friday, July 14, 2006

Gun Rights, the Civil Right

Good news from the Senate:
Handing another victory to gun control opponents, the Senate votes to bar the confiscation of legally possessed firearms during an emergency.

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., proposed the gun provision amendment, which is attached to a domestic spending bill for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1.

The Senate approved the amendment by a vote of 84-16. The House has already passed its own version of the spending bill. Negotiators will have to decide whether to keep the amendment.
The 16 nay voters were all the senators from California, Hawaii, Maryland, New York, and New Jersey along with Teddy Kennedy (D-Ma), Dodd (D-CT), Durbin (D-IL), Harkin (D-IA), Levin (D-MI), and Reed (D-RI). Thankfully both Biden and Carper have common sense.

UPDATE: From Anna Venger in the comments:
Here's an idea for a DCBA outting: Let those experienced with firearms practice target shooting while instructing the inexperienced in how to shoot and properly handle a firearm.
Sounds good to me. I'm thinking a Saturday afternoon at Ommelanden Public Range in Newcastle? I'll bring my stuff.

Although if we're going to do this I had better order those parts for my AR-15 so I can finally put some rounds through it.

No comments: