Thursday, July 06, 2006

Gay Marriage

It seems New York State and Georgia have gotten in right. They both upheld marriage as an exclusively heterosexual construct. But with that in mind New York also said:
We do not predict what people will think generations from now, but we believe the present generation should have a chance to decide the issue through its elected representatives...”
I.e. if you want gay marriage you need to change the laws through the legislative process, not overturn them through judicial action. Exactly.

I'm not sure I like gay marriage. I don't think I would vote for it, but I can see why some people might. If those people won out, I could certainly live with it. After all they can't exactly force me to marry another man. But ultimately this is an issue that should not be decided using court orders. It is an issue to be decided through the representative political process of the state and national legislatures. It's really nice to see someone uphold that concept.

No comments: