Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Reviews: Sunday CDs

Amy and I picked up a three of CDs at Best Buy on Sunday. We hit the low price rack for U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and KT Tunstall's Eye to the Telescope. Most of them were $10 which suited me just fine.

To handle them in reverse order, our reaction to KT Tunstall's album was unanimous. It is almost entirely mediocre. Black Horse and a Cherry Tree is the only good song and you can hear it on the radio for free. We thought the album might be nice because BH&CT was such a catchy number, but the rest of the songs are decidedly inferior.

I've never really listened to Pink Floyd. I picked their most famous album after The Wall which I've heard isn't their best work. It was ok. I'm not going to bash Floyd, but it just didn't quite do it for me. I may pick up Piper at the Gates of Dawn later to give them another try.

The U2 album is great of course. It has some good rock numbers, some good slower stuff, and a lot Christian themes interwoven throughout. It is most interesting because it is almost like a Christian Rock album from another dimension. Catholic Rock perhaps? I wonder, does Ireland count as another dimension? Maybe for WASPs like me.

An aside, what is the proper name for a group of CDs? Lets see a pride of lions... A gaggle of geese... A mess of CDs? Looking at the back seat of my car, it sounds about right.

No comments: