Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Guns and Work

Kim du Toit received an interesting comment yesterday. It concerns a state department requesting qualified civil servants to carry their guns at work in order to improve security. Well that is refreshing.

I've probably stated this before, but I'm going to rant it again anyway. Self defense is a fundamental human right. It should not be abridged easily. In the case of a business, requiring an employee go unarmed should bestow the responsibility for that person's defense on the employer. You don't want your employees to carry, then you damn well better have security. I'd love to see a bunch of conceal carry permit holders gang up on their employer after someone is injured by a nutjob while on the job.

I am more than willing to admit that there are cases where guns and work don't mix. I interviewed with a rocket motor manufacturing plant after I left grad school. I wouldn't want a firearm or anything else which ignites flammable chemicals anywhere near that place and for obvious reasons.

No comments: