Thursday, August 25, 2005

SUVs and the Family Car

Instapundit has a very expansive post up on SUVs. He talks (and relays correspondences from others) about how the SUV craze was not just created by low gas prices, but also by loopholes in the CAFE standards. Tax breaks for business and industrial equipment also have loopholes that make SUV artificially attractive. I had heard of both of these before. A new factor he considers is that child safety seat laws and similar ordinances increase the space requirements for children, requiring more room in a family car.

Many people look to the minivan to replace the SUV. My cousins all have minivans. My parents have a minivan. Lets face it, if you are anything of a driving enthusiast, minivans suck. They are big and fairly heavy. They wallow through turns. SUVs have these characteristic too, but hey also have large V6 or V8 engines to get them going in the straights. Minivans don't even have that. I had to drive my parents Sienna once the last time I moved. Shudder. Not for me.

Reynold's family car is a Volkswagen Passat Wagon. I would be more inclined to go with something similar, perhaps a Mazda6 sportwagon, as a family vehicle. That is once my family has outgrown my Protege. I drive too much on a daily basis to do it in a car I hate.

No comments: