Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Mawwaige

Instapundit is linking to top ten list of marital advice given by Mark Daniels on his thirty-first wedding anniversary. Congradulation Mark. It is well worth a read.

Despite the fact that I'm not yet married, I'm going to wax intellectual on something I know little about. That is what the blogosphere is for, isn't it?

Anyway there seems to be two related memes that really will kill a marriage.
  1. Not getting to know your mate before you get married
  2. Unwillingness to accept your spouse for who they are
  3. Unwillingness to change
At this point in our relationship Amybear and I know each other quite well. We understand both our strengths and our weaknesses. While she gets annoyed at me for occasionally be tactless and I get annoyed at her for being emotional, we're honestly trying to improve ourselves so we can be happier together.

I just don't understand some people. Isn't marriage about wanting to spend your life with someone? Before you make that commitment shouldn't you (a) find someone you want to spend the rest of your life with and (b) be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to spend the rest of your life with that person without "growing apart".

UPDATE: On a slightly different marital note, a conversation with a coworker leads me to believe that you know the honeymoon is over if....

You'd rather sleep five more minutes than shower with the wife.

UPDATE2: Hehe. He just read this and is blushing like crazy. I love terrorizing my coworkers...

No comments: