Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Florida

I'm in sunny Florida right now. It was 74 and gorgeous in Sarasota today. I have to worry about sunburn and its december. I love this state. Gloat gloat. Sorry for all you people up in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware. Granted I post to at least one Malaysian blog, so people who live in the real tropics can feel free to gloat to me later. But right now I can be happy.

I'm starting to understand the snowbird phenomenon now. I left Philly with snow on the ground. After many hardships, which I will write a separate post about, I got to Florida with lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s. And people here are complaining about the cold. Spoiled geriatric brats.

The population shift is funny though. Farther north grocery baggers are usually pimply faced teenagers. Here they are the swinging youngsters of the retired set, namely people in their early retirement years. There also seems to be an inordinate number of doctors, dentists, and plastic surgeons.

Its even funnier because the status of the individual is not necessarily reflected by the individual around here. It is by what their children do. For instance Pee Wee Herman's parents live about a block from where I'm typing this. God only knows what their names are, but they have some small measure of fame around here.

No comments: