Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Merry Christmas -> Happy Holidays

GetReligion is posting on groups trying to keep Christmas Merry. Frankly I don't see what the big deal is myself. I'm more than willing to have a Happy Holiday considering that Jews, Christians, and African American Hippies all have celebrations in this time period. Since my girlfriend is Jewish I can appreciate wanting to be inclusive in this holiday season. Aren't there more important things to be activists about than "Merry Christmas." Like making sure people don't freeze to death this holiday season?

There is a catch however. I better be seeing Happy Holidays consistently throughout the season. I remember flipping on local TV to see "Happy Hanukkah" and "Have a Gay Kwansaa" (or whatever the appropriate salutation is), but never a mention of Christmas. I'm not happy about that. It better not be Hanukkah and Kwansaa commercials, but Seasons Greetings or Happy Holidays for Christmas. If you want to mention each holiday individually then do so. If you want to lump them together then lump them. Just don't leave me out either way or I'll be legitimately pissed.

Oh and I never got "Season Greetings". What kind of slogan is that? I recognize the Season part, but "Greetings"? Its like putting a sign up that says "Hi, it's Christmas!"

UPDATE: If your really serious about Merry Christmas being the only option, then talk to these people.

No comments: