Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Jewish Jokes

The very Semitic crew over at the Volokh Conspiracy is discussing them and ethnic humor in general. A few choice jokes from the comments are here and here. My current favorite piece of ethnic humor goes like this:
A New York tailor, devout Jew all his days, tries very hard to bring up his children in the faith. One day, his youngest son comes to him and announces that he is becoming a Roman Catholic. The tailor ponders his misfortunes, trying to understand why such a thing should happen to him. In desolation, he seeks out his rabbi and confides in him.

"Rabbi," laments the tailor, "I do not understand. My son, a good Jewish boy, brought up in the faith. We observed, we attended, we did everything for the boy, and yet he decides to become a Catholic. How can this thing be?"

"My friend," says the rabbi, "I can't stand it, but I must tell you. My son, a good Jewish boy, brought up here in the synagogue in the faith. Yet, he also became a Catholic."

Suddenly, the lights dim, the walls shake, and voice of God fills the room. "My son, a good Jewish boy..."
To poke a little fun at myself here is another one:
There are 3 fundamental truths about religion: Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Son of God, Protestants don't recognize the Pope as the Vicar of Christ, and Baptists don't recognize each other at the bar on Saturday nights.

No comments: