Friday, May 12, 2006

Athiest Church Principles

Albert Mohler is telling the story of an athiest college professor Robert Jensen who has joined a St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Austin.
"Standing before the congregation of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Austin, Texas, I affirmed that I (1) endorsed the core principles in Christ's teaching; (2) intended to work to deepen my understanding and practice of the universal love at the heart of those principles; and (3) pledged to be a responsible member of the church and to the larger community."
Why did he become a member?
The cynical dimension of Jensen's reason for joining the church becomes immediately apparent when he explains that, "since a vast majority of Americans define a 'good American' as one who holds to some religious faith, clearly there's an advantage to being able to speak within a religious framework in the contemporary United States."
The pastor of the church, Jim Rigby, then goes on to talk about how by allowing Jensen to join he is building bridges and inviting new people in.

Honestly I don't know how to react. Mohler is angry. I'm just sad. I'm really ok with inviting Jensen into the pews. I would encourage him to attend his church regularly. But membership should involve a confession of faith that isn't:
"I don't believe Jesus Christ was the son of a God that I don't believe in, nor do I believe Jesus rose from the dead to ascend to a heaven that I don't believe exists."
What has become of the faith in this country? On one side we have fundamentalists without love. On the other side we have the mainliners without any sense. I pray that we find a middle road soon before it is too late.

No comments: