Monday, May 15, 2006

Car Shopping

When we were down in DC this weekend doing wedding crap, we tried to help Amybear's parents out with some car shopping. We took a trip to their local Honda dealer and looked at a CR-V. We all hated the CR-V. Not enough engine. Weird controls. Truckish ride. My head was hitting the ceiling in the back. Oddly enough my brothers earlier model CR-V had fewer of these problems.

While they were touring the lot, I took the time to check out some other Honda makes and models. I tried to find a Fit so I could see if I fit, but alas either they aren't on the market yet or they are selling so fast they don't stay on the lot. Either way I had no luck.

The first car I tried on fit very well. I thought that they must have really made some improvements for the new Civic. The old one was way too small. Turns out I was actually sitting in an Accord. Oops, but that explained the roominess. The real new Civic wasn't nearly so nice. The dimensions were just a little awkward everywhere. I could physically fit, but everything was just slightly too small for my six foot frame. I'm sure it would fit Amybear very well though so if we ever have to replace her car, another Civic would probably be ok so long as I didn't have to drive it much.

The real surprise was when I slipped into an S2000. They're tiny. I expected the S2000 to fit like a Miata with not enough knee and head room. Boy was I wrong. It fit like a glove. Nice interior and everything was where it should be. The seats were wonderful too with just enough bolster to feel like you were planted, but not so much that they were intruding. Unfortunately I don't drive stick (but I'd be willing to learn) and I'm not going to spend over $30k for a normally aspirated four-cylinder with two seats and totally mediocre gas mileage (20/26 mpg). But if someone gave me an S2000 I certainly wouldn't turn it down.

No comments: