Friday, April 15, 2005

Tax Day

Well I finished them last night. Haven't printed out all the copies and mailed them yet. Last year, I got everything done a week or so early and mailed them off. It was a horrible mistake. I screwed up itemizing and had to file 11th hour adjustments to all my returns on the 15th. Uggh. I learned my lesson and started them several weeks ago, but I've been looking at them and mulling them over since. They'll go out with hours to spare and be right the first time. I also found out that my apartment complex has copying facilities which is handy.

I saw a link to this brief piece of tax advice on Gizmodo. If you owe taxes and don't have the money, then file for an extension or simply file paying what you can. The penalty for not paying enough is ten times lower than the penalty for filing late or not at all.

For those of us getting money back, Kim du Toit has been hyping April 15th as Buy A Gun Day for a while. I don't think I will be doing that, although I am eyeing some .22s and maybe a cowboy gun in .357 to add to my collection. The former is for training, the latter is mostly for fun.

I just spent my birthday money on a "scout" scope for my M1 carbine though, so I'm feeling pretty good on the firearms front. Turns out the one I bought has an illuminated reticle too. It was a cool bonus when I opened up the package this morning. If I do splurge with my refund money, it will probably be on a dremel tool. They're awfully handy and I have some polishing/sanding/grinding jobs where I could put it to use.

No comments: