Friday, October 28, 2005

Fragile Fuzzy Nazis

John the Methodists explains what it is like to keep rabbits as pets.
It sounds like Patti fell for the houserabbit myth. There is a popular notion among some rabbit people that one can raise a pet rabbit like one keeps a cat. ... If this were true, it would necessitate that my rabbits are exceptionally stupid for rabbits. I do not think that this is the case.
He also goes on into detail about the many ways you can accidentally kill a rabbit. There are rather a lot of them.

My parents had a garden for most of my life. For a good part of that time we weren't planting it, but one would spring up in that spot anyway. Because of this we had rabbits in the back yard. We also owned a series of dogs. The dogs didn't kill any rabbits, but they had fun chasing them. I did kill a rabbit once. I accidentally stepped on it while walking one of the dogs. I still feel bad about it to this day, but I console myself with the knowledge that it couldn't have been a very smart rabbit.

Oh, the Nazi part? It is a reference to the quite excellent furry comic anthology Albedo Anthropomorphics. This is a hard sci-fi space war series where the good guys are the Extra-planetary Defense Forces and the bad guys are the Interstellar Lepine Republic (ILR). The ILR are rabbit space Nazis who believe in their own buck-toothed racial superiority. Yes I realize that space Nazis are somewhat over done, but it is a really good series. Even the furriness makes sense.

UPDATE: On the other hand Rabbit Nazis are nothing compared to guinea pig jinxes.

No comments: