Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Traffic Violated

I'm mentioned the traffic habits of cops before. Last night it came home to roost. What was my real crime? I was driving like a cop without the badge.

I left work late last night. As I pulled out of the parking lot, a police SUV pulled in front of me. I slowed down to let him in and then followed him through a series of turns. I matched his speed. At the end of the turns he stopped suddenly and then pulled over in the left hand lane. I slowed down and waiting for him to make a move, then passed him on the right. He turned on his lights for the first time and pulled me over.

He checked my ID and gave me a warning for following too closely. He also chastening me for driving too fast. Of course I wasn't doing anything that he hadn't been doing a few seconds before me. If I can't use a police officer as my model, who the hell can I use?

The whole thing pissed me off so much that I had trouble eating dinner and getting to sleep last night. I suppose I'm overreacting, but the whole hypocrisy of the event raised my hackles even now.

No comments: